Navajo School Clothing & School Supplies Program
Section I: Purpose
- The Navajo Financial Assistance Unit provides financial assistance for eligible school age Navajo children to purchase clothing and supplies, of their choice, in an effort to promote school attendance, encourage academic performance, and support confidence.
- The Navajo Financial Assistance Unit is the lead agency to provide school clothing and supplies assistance for the Navajo Nation utilizing Navajo Nation and federal funding. These guidelines will advise the applicant on how to apply for financial assistance; to view the guidelines, CLICK HERE.
Section II: Eligibility
The following requirements must be met for determination of eligibility:
- The child must be between 3 to 18 years of age on the date the applicant submits an application.
- The child must be enrolled member of the Navajo Nation.
- The child must be enrolled in school, including home, or virtual learning.
- The child must be enrolled in child care, Head Start, Pre-Kindergarten, Pre-school, and grade K through 12 for the current academic school year.
Section III: Required Documents
- The child’s Certificate of Indian Blood;
- The child’s valid social security card;
- A document on official school letterhead verifying the child is enrolled for the current academic year, or appropriate documentation verifying the child is home school or virtual learning such as, but not limited to, a document issued by the Bureau of Indian Affairs, Bureau of Indian Education, contract school, parochial school, or state operated school; and
- Completed W-9 Form that is signed by the applicant.
Section IV: Financial Assistance
The financial assistance for Navajo School Clothing and School Supplies shall not exceed $250.00 per eligible child for the current academic year.
Section V: Appeal
If an application is denied, a written appeal for reconsideration must be submitted to the NFAS Senior Programs and Projects Specialist (SPPS) within ten (10) working days of receipt of a denial letter. The written appeal shall outline the reason(s) for which the applicant is disputing the denial of an application and should include supporting document(s), if any. The NFAS SPPS’ decision will be final.
Navajo Nation Locations